Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunny Sunflowers!

Late this week I began a few different confections with a sunflower theme inspired by the beautiful sunflowers my boyfriend brought me home one day! After reading about an up-coming event benefiting a local little girl whom was recently diagnosed with cancer, I decided to make cupcakes to send to their bake sale fundraiser.

I just love sunflowers - they are such a happy flower!

I created the "flower" from bright yellow fondant cut out with two different size flower cut-outs and layered them to create depth. I also wanted to create some more interest and detail on the flowers, so I created different lines and definitions with tiny tools. All the flowers took about three hours to make!!



The actual cake portion of the cupcake was a lemon flavor and I used some yummy vanilla icing to top them off!



I added a fun, bright pink crete paper wrap and tied them all off with a cute yellow bow. Here is the end result!...



Additionally, I designed a small 6-inch round two layer chocolate cake with a similar theme. For some reason, the white fondant came out really bumpy and I was really unhappy with the end result. I thought the flower cluster was super cute and I really liked my attempt at a "modern" bow. However, the bow ended up being a little to big for the small scale cake. I guess that's why it's called a "practice cake"! Here it is...



No comments:

Post a Comment